Wednesday, August 3, 2011

pea coats

I made these pea coats last week (using this pattern) and then spent days looking at them too scared to attempt the button holes. I have a long held fear of the button hole, my old sewing machine (or was it me?) always made a bit of a mess of them and I had never attempted one with my new machine.
I wish I had tried it sooner. I never realised just how amazing automatic button holes are.

I will never avoid a pattern just because it has buttons again.

 Both coats are made of really nice warm felted wool for the outside. For Alfies (the black one) I used an old wool coat that belonged to my mother in law that she didnt want anymore and lined it with some striped cotton. For Lukas' I used some  wool fabric I have had lying around for years that I never really knew what to do with and lined it with some lovely soft brushed cotton.




The pattern was one of the best I have ever used, it was very simple, well thought out with very clear instructions.  the only thing I would change next time is that I would make Alfies a little bit longer.  Seriously though, I can't recommend the pattern enough.





Fortunately for me the boys love them. 
Have to make the most of it, on day they might start to hate wearing made by mum stuff.
Until that time though.......

2 comments:

clare said...

Woweee! They look awesome! Good job! x

Rhiannon said...

I LOVE them. LOVE. I really want to make something similar for Otto next Winter. Lucky the exchange rate is so good, huh?