Sunday, September 5, 2010

30 year old pancakes

Thats right, 30 year old pancakes. a friend of mine recently asked if I wanted some 30 year old pancakes and to tell you the truth I thought she had gone a little insane, or at the very least was a little confused. It turns out that she was talking about a sourdough pancake starter mix that actually was first started 30 years ago and has been shared around ever since. I decided to give it a go so she gave me a jar of starter that she took of her mix that looks like this.


To this mix you add flour and water and leave it on the bench over night. In the morning you take a cup of that mix out and put it in a jar and thats the starter for the next batch. To the remainder you just add an egg, some oil, baking soda and a pinch of salt and there you have it. Sourdough ancake mix. Cook them and you get a pile of these.

Not the most appealing stack of pancakes I have ever seen but they sure do taste good.

No comments: