Thursday, September 30, 2010

How to make a lego sack


I thought I would do a wee tutorial showing you how I made my version of a lego sack.  Now I know there are several out there so if you already have a favourite way to make these then thats great, but for those of you that don't, this is how I make mine.  Apologies if any of the instructions don't make sense.  Please ask if something isnot clear and you can't work out what on earth I am going on abaout.
Take a piece of fabric that is as long as it is wide (roughly a square, mine was 110cm wide fabric) and fold it in half


Fold it in half again so you have a square.  Measure the distance from the corner with no raw edges to the top corner.  This will be the radius of our circle.  Mine was 55cm, half the width of my fabric.  Then measure a few points from the corner with no raw edges.  You then connect these points and end up with a curve.  You can just make out the very faint curve on my fabric (sorry I should really have taken a better pic).
Cut along this curve and unfold.



You should now have a circle like this. 
Lay this circle on top of a second piece of fabric and cut aroud it to give you a second circle.


Place right sides together and pin.


Sew around the circle, but make sure you stop 10cms or so before you reach the start of your stitching so you can turn it all in the right way.


clip seams.  This is so when you do turn it in the right way the fabric sits flat.
Turn the fabric through the hole so the right sides are facing out.



You should now have something that looks like this..  You know need to sew up the hole, I topstitched the whole way round mine becasue I find it looks neater and helps the fabric to sit flat.


Now for the casing for the ties.  I used pre made purchased at spotlight bias binding for this.  If you choose to, you can make your own but I was running very low on time and only wanted plain old black.  Here is a good tutorial for making your own.  Just remember we want it flat, not folded in half.  Mine took about 3 metres of binding.


pin your binding into place, only go half way around your circle, and then fold the ends over to finish the edge.  Repeat for the second half. 


Sew into place

make sure you dont sew the ends shut or you wont be able to thread your cord through.


You should now have something that looks a little like this



Now you need to take some cord and thread it through the casing we just made, I forgot to take a photo of this step.  The easiest way to do this is to use a safety pin and thread it through from one of the openings in the casing right round and out of that same opening.  You then take a second piece of cord and thread it through the second opening all te way around and back out that same opening. Ties the ends of the cords together and you are done!


It's time to play


These would work for all sorts of things.  Make one in girly fabric and use it to keep a tea set in.  Once opened you have an instant tablecloth.  Or make it in a road print for a car mat.  The possibilities are endless.

3 comments:

clare said...

Great tutorial thanks! xo

natacha lee said...

Neat idea. if only toys could stay within the piece of fabric!

Rhiannon said...

This tutorial makes WAY more sense than the mat I made Aesop.
Would be nice if I could convince Aesop to actually play with the lego ON the mat though. Hmmmm.